The Community Homelessness Prevention Initiative (CHPI) combines funding from former separate housing and homelessness programs into a single flexible program. Funding can now be used by Service Managers to address local priorities and better meet the needs of individuals and families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless in their local communities.
The CHPI program provides the District of Thunder Bay Social Services Administration Board (TBDSSAB) with a funding envelope and flexibility to use available funding for programs within four identified provincial service categories:
- Emergency Shelter Solutions (e.g. emergency shelter and/or safe bed)
- Housing and Related Supports (e.g. permanent housing, rental allowance)
- Services and Supports (e.g. street and housing outreach, food banks, housing search)
- Homelessness Prevention
The TBDSSAB has utilized CHPI to provide funding to the following programs and services:
- The District of Thunder Bay Social Services Administration Board – Housing Security Fund (HSF), Tenant Support, Emergency Shelter Outreach
- Shelter House Thunder Bay– Emergency Shelter, Street Outreach Services
- Salvation Army Booth Centre– Emergency Shelter, Habitat Program
- Lutheran Community Care Centre– Social Services Program
Ontario Renovates (previously referred to as Northern Home Repair)
Ontario Renovates is designed to assist low to moderate income homeowners to make urgently needed home repairs to address home health and safety problems or to make modifications to their home to accommodate members with disabilities. Click here for program information and click here for before and after photos.
To apply to the Ontario Renovates Program please click the following link to download the application: Ontario Renovates Application Form.
If you have questions about the program please contact Jennifer Jones, Housing Programs Clerk at 766-4091 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that in communities with a population of 2,500 or less, Infinity Property Services is operating an Ontario Renovates Program and currently has funding available. Their application form can be downloaded from their website at:www.infinitypropertyservices.ca.
Housing Assistance Program – Reaching Home – Rural & Remote
The Housing Assistance Program aims to assist people who are homeless or who are at risk of homelessness residing within the District of Thunder Bay but excluding the City of Thunder Bay. The expected goal of this program is to address the cycle of homelessness.
Individuals experiencing or at risk of homelessness.
Funding can be used for the following:
Setting up apartment/accommodations:
- First and last months’ rent
- 3 month’s rent subsidy
- Groceries (up to $250.00)
- Household supplies
- Propane / oil / wood to heat home
Maintaining an existing residence:
- Up to 3 months’ rental arrears
- Propane / Oil arrears
To apply for funding, complete the Reaching Home- Rural Remote Application. If you have any questions about this program, please contact the TBDSSAB Community Caseworker in the satellite office near you. TBDSSAB Office Locations.