Food Security Fund 2023
Applications are now closed.
The District of Thunder Bay Social Services Administration Board (TBDSSAB) is seeking applications from organizations for the Food Security Fund.
The submission deadline is March 1, 2023.
Below is information on how to apply for the Food Security Fund, and an application form.
The Homelessness Prevention Program (HPP) is a provincially funded program that aims to prevent, reduce, and address homelessness. Through HPP, TBDSSAB funds multiple homelessness prevention initiatives, including supportive housing, community outreach and support services, housing assistance and emergency shelter solutions.
The Food Security Fund aims to provide financial support to food security initiatives in the District of Thunder Bay that help address and prevent homelessness.
To be eligible to receive funding under this program, applicants must meet the following basic criteria:
- Funding must be used for Food Security programming.
- Funding must be used for new, enhanced, or the continuation of programs/ services/ benefits that directly reduce and/or prevent homelessness within the District of Thunder Bay.
- Be an incorporated non-profit organization or non-incorporated collective which operates on a non-profit basis, a municipality, or a registered charity.
- Have a clearly stated purpose and function and be fully responsible for the planning and provision of its services.
- Be operating from a location in the District of Thunder Bay and carry out programs in the community for the benefit of the people who reside in that community.
- Comply with all applicable statutes and legislation, including the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Demonstrate need for the requested funding and provide evidence that, where appropriate, funds are confirmed/projected from a variety of other sources (donations, user fees, other government sources).
- Complete the Accountable Advances’ Review form and submit with application. Please include a copy of the organization’s insurance certificate.
- Expenses directly related to the supply of food and food security to homeless or at-risk individuals may be eligible, including food and food supplies, transportation, distribution, and volunteer training.
- Capital expenditures are not eligible for funding.
- Salaries and benefits are not eligible for funding.
- Funding requests cannot exceed $50,000.
The following criteria will guide the evaluation of applications:
- Does the proposal meet basic eligibility requirements?
- Is there a demonstrated need in the community for the proposal, supported by objective evidence? Is there alignment with community priorities identified in stakeholder reports?
- Does the proposal address the identified need for food security for individuals and families who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness and at least one of the following objectives?
- Support the province’s goal to end chronic homelessness by 2025
- Provide services and programs that connect people to community resources
- Focus on outcome-based services
- Offer creative and innovative approaches to reduce homelessness
- Does the proposal involve partnerships and co-operative efforts?
- Is food being provided at a low cost or for free with this proposal?
- Are the social determinants of health for personal health or healthy child development being met with this proposal?
- Does this proposal reduce food insecurities within the district for at-risk peoples?
- Has the organization met the terms and conditions of previous agreements with The District of Thunder Bay Social Services Administration Board (TBDSSAB or the Board) and is the organization up to date with program reporting requirements?
- Does the organization have a plan to make the initiative self-sustaining beyond the funding requested?
Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee approval of your submission.
All funding decisions are subject to availability of funds and TBDSSAB approval.
Deadline for Submissions
Applications are now closed.
March 1, 2023
How to Apply
Following is information on how to apply for the TBDSSAB HPP Food Security Fund:
- 2023 Food Security Application (Word doc)
- 2023 Application Instructions (PDF)
- 2023 Accountable Advances Form (PDF)
Please submit completed applications and all supporting documentation to:
Attention: Samantha Vance
The District of Thunder Bay Social Services Administration Board
231 May Street, South
Thunder Bay, ON P7E 1B5