(previously referred to as Northern Home Repair)
Are you a homeowner struggling to make home repairs? TBDSSAB may be able to help make home repairs more affordable through the Ontario Renovates program.
The Ontario Renovates Program may be able to help you:
- live in your home longer;
- repair your home with eligible repairs to make it safe while improving energy efficiency;
- install features that support modifications and renovations to increase accessibility
Ontario Renovates is designed to assist low to moderate income homeowners to make urgently needed home repairs to address home health and safety problems or to make modifications to their home to accommodate members with disabilities.
You may be eligible for a forgivable loan (forgiven at 10% per year) through the Ontario Renovates Program if:
- Your total household income is at or below:
- Single or couple with no dependents – $51,000
- Household with one dependent – $66,000
- Household with two dependents – $76,000
- Household with 3 or more dependents – $89,200
- The condition of your home is substandard or deficient and needs repair to bring it up to a reasonable standard.
- Your cash and assets are at or below $20,000 (savings account, bonds, not including locked in RRSP/RESP/RDSP).
- The house that needs repair is your sole and principal residence.
You may also be eligible for a GRANT of up to $5,000 to make your home accessible for such items as ramps, chair lifts, handrails, height adjustments for counters, cues for doorbells/fire alarms. No repayment required if approved.
Eligible repairs may include but are not limited to:
- Fire Safety
- Septic Systems
- Well Water
- Improved Accessibility / Safety-related features that help seniors and persons with disabilities remain in their home.
Your eligibility will be fully assessed once you complete and submit an Application Form.
How to Apply
To apply, please click the following link to download the application: Ontario Renovates Application Form
Questions? Please contact the Housing Programs Clerk at 766-4091.
The Ontario Renovates Program, a component of the Investment in Affordable Housing in Ontario, is made available to The District of Thunder Bay Social Services Administrative Board through funding from the federal and provincial governments.